Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Adventures with a Loom

I think it was three years ago that I purchased a loom.  Not just a simple wooden loom, no, not me!  For my first loom, I bought a Mirrix.

Now to be fair, I did purchase it because I was taking a class at BeadFest using one.  I had really wanted to learn how to loom, and thought it would be a quick way to make bracelets.  The bracelet we made in class was not very attractive, though.  Undaunted, I did make another upon my return home.  It is very nice, and I get lots of compliments each time I wear it.   I then put the loom away and never used it again.   Until today.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Mirrix loom, it is a no warp ends loom.  Instead of all those pesky warp threads left at the ends to deal with, there are only two which are easily woven into the beadwork.

I warped the loom with C-Lon and made a bracelet like the one which Olga Mihaylova teaches here at Crystal Bead Bazaar.  Instead of crimping the clasp onto the warp threads, I wove them in, then attached my clasp with loops of 11/0 seed beads as one would using off loom techniques.  

And here is my finished project!

I just have one question.  How many bracelets does one have to make to justify spending $160 on a loom?

No comments:

Post a Comment